Additional Resource Links:
- Keywords Chapter 5
- Keywords Chapter 6
- Powerpoints Chapter 5,6
- Graphic Design Timeline—15,000–10,000 BC
- Design Thinking
Please answer the questions for chapter 1-4 in essay form. Regardless of the specific question, always keep the following general guidelines in mind;
- What caused this style, movement or innovation to occur?
- How does the effect of this person, place or thing influence design today?
- Was this innovation an example of design leading or following the general thinking of the time?
- Design works should be formally analyzed with reference to their particular cultural, social, political, religious and/or technological contexts—the Zeitgeist—of the time.
Discover how this (these) new processes, strategies and technologies are invented. Historical precedents are reevaluated and critiqued. Innovative storytelling and narrative techniques are formed. How have designers actively reshaped the creative process and as a result re-directed currents in contemporary culture, and the meaning of design in general?
From an awareness of style, and close scrutiny of exemplary visual communication, your answers should provide a written perspective on human development by critically analyzing select historical examples and demonstrate informed judgments about their meaning. In otherwords—Apply Design Thinking.
I am interested in your opinions based on your ability to reason. Your success is largely determined by your ability to cite specific historic examples to support your viewpoints and then interpret their larger meaning and impact on design and culture. This will require you to look beyond just the object examples and instead interpret their greater meaning and impact.
Please send your essay responses to firstname.lastname@example.org. Be sure to include the phrase “GDH: chapt 5-6” in the subject line of the email.
- Discuss the similarities and differences between Illuminated manuscripts and typographic books of the Incunabula period. (images, typography, lettering styles, illustration, technology, etc.)
- Discuss the contributions that Gutenburg made to printing from moveable type. (What specific things did he invent/create, what things did he modify, what areas of knowledge did he draw upon to make this work?)
- Describe the look of the main letterform styles of the Incunabula. (Roman, Uncials, Textura). (You may sketch them to help clarify your answers)
- Discuss the main characteristics of the Nuremburg Chronicles. (what was it, who was involved with its creation, what new additions to the form of the book as we know it to day were introduced, etc.)
- Discuss the philosophical themes Ars Moriendi, and Apocaplypse, and how each influenced the way people lived in the late Medieval period. How did this approach compare and contrast with the rational and logical themes introduced during the Incunabula and further developed during the Renaissance as the Age of Enlightenment?
Remember each of these questions are simply a point of departure. You need to expand your answers to each so that they also include Design Thinking (as described above).