- Design Thinking Research Paper Writing
- Research Writing
- Design Thinking
- Seeing Critically
- Captains of Industry
Write a 3–5 page paper (plus title page, bibliography and supporting images) that focus on analysis by the principals of Design Thinking. You must specifically focus on the innovations of one of the industry giants from the period of time known as the Industrial Revolution, roughly 1760 to 1840.The Industrial Revolution was a period in which fundamental changes affected virtually all aspects of life; agriculture, communication, textile and metal manufacture, transportation, economic policies and social structure. A leader or major innovator from any one of these areas is possible for you to choose.
Your assignment is to choose one of the individuals who was instrumental in one of these areas of industry and then form a thesis or theory about their innovations and contributions. A key component of this thesis is to connect it to the points, topics, and ideas expressed in our text book: Design Thinking for Strategic Innovation. Your paper should follow a logical sequence of explaining your thesis by “connecting the dots” between what you see, what your research has uncovered or shown you, your text book and the resulting impact the work has had. You must set up some guidelines for yourself which should include the basic context/design thinking areas of:
- Zeitgeist influences
- Historical influences
- Stylistic influences
- Location/Geographic influences
- Cultural influences
- Belief (religion, tradition, spiritualism, etc.) influences
- Individual knowledge/expertise/interest/experience as influences
It is also important to distinguish the influence of Victorian style, but also realize that Victorian is an aesthetic style, it is not the same thing as the Industrial Revolution itself even though many products of the Industrial Revolution have a Victorian look.
some general guidelines:
I am interested in your opinions, thoughts and ideas concerning your subject. Support those ideas with documented facts as much as possible.
Follow a general progressive development format for your writing which includes
- Do a general read about your chosen person to discover possible areas that interest you the most and can become the core of you thesis.
- thesis proposal—a statement or opinion which is the basis or theme of your paper. A suggestion is to write one in the form of a question that will direct your research in a way that you can discover something new/unique, details about how or why or when your person was able to accomplish what he/she did, and most of all what were the “mitigating circumstances” or perfect combination that motivated or influenced the innovation.
- develop reasons or ideas which support your overall thesis—this general development should site factual sources or events, quote persons, make comparisons, relate to the context of the times, or show how it influenced the general evolution of design
- conclusion—restate your original thesis in a summary fashion
- Your subject should address the three aspects of:
- the technology of the time, what specific influence did it have. For this paper technology is from the Industrial Revolution
- aesthetics or the “look”, describe it specifically (line, shape, color, typeface, style, uses, influences. etc.) For this paper this aesthetic is Victorian style.
- how it relates to other world or regional events of the time (the Zeitgeist)
- Title page, Bibliography and illustrations, pictures, diagrams are required as support material to your written paper. The Page count does not include title page, supporting pages of illustrations, pictures, diagrams, or bibliography.
- You may use any one of the formal research writing style guides for citation format but APA is preferred. You do not have to use the APA format for the writing of the paper itself.